Tag Archives | stained glass

Waterlilies, Dragonflies and Sparkle

It’s Sabrina here today, and I have a card using the Waterlily and Dragonfly Panels stamp from Art Neko to give you some waterlilies, dragonflies and sparkle – lots of sparkle!!Let me start by saying that if you don’t like loose glitter and the mess it leaves in its wake, this particular stained glass technique is not for you – but it does give a beautiful effect!

 

Waterlily and dragonfly panels stamp used with a stained glass window technique to give waterlilies, dragonflies and sparkle

 

You start out by stamping the image on acetate, using Staz-On ink ( I tried with Rangers Archival too, which is what is shown in the photo below. It dried, when left for a few hours, but my pad is much juicier than my Staz-On one, and it smudged in one corner. However, I have kept it because I think I can use it for something else. The one shown in the finished card was stamped with Staz-On black.

waterlily and dragonfly panels image from Art Neko stamped on acetate for a glitter stained glass window

 

Then you turn the image over and work on the non-stamped side. It will help at this stage if you can wipe it with some sort of anti-static cloth, to reduce the amount of glitter clinging to it.  You need to allow plenty of time, as the glue has to dry before you change to another colour. So, working one colour at a time, apply a clear-drying glue such as Glossy Accents (Diamond Glaze or Ranger’s Multi-Medium will also work well) to the back of the acetate and sprinkle plenty of glitter over it. Allow it to dry, shake off the excess glitter and then move on to your next colour and repeat the process until you have blocked in all the colours you need to create your stained glass. I used three different greens, and silver for the lily flowers, plus a couple of blues for the dragonflies. If you would like a tutorial with step by step pictures, there is one on Splitcoaststampers HERE.

I cut an aperture in a piece of 5 3/4″ square card which was just slightly larger than the dimensions of the stamped image. I used an old Cuttlebug embossing folder to emboss the floral swirl, and  used my Scor-Pal to create a frame around the image. I added a few sparkly gems to the flower centres – to vary the shade of green I used my Sharpies to colour a couple of them. I added one extra dragonfly; I’d stamped the panel with it on white card, then coloured it with Twinkling H2Os, used a metallic gold pen on the body and then cut it out.

I had created a beautiful yellow and blue cling-wrap background to use behind it – and then accidentally used it up for something else. However, it was a happy accident because this panel which was coloured simply by blotting up my craft mat after using Mermaid Markers for a stencil monoprint had colours which went beautifully behind the waterlily panels and probably actually suits it better. Normally when I use this technique I attach the acetate panel directly to the card base, but in this case I decided to pop it up a little from the background, so I used foam tape all round. I wish that it was possible to capture the sparkle better in these waterlilies, dragonflies and sparkle – but the acetate makes it hard to photograph without reflections. It’s a fun technique, and if you don’t mind the loose glitter floating round afterwards, it really is beautiful.

 

Waterlily and dragonfly panels stamp used with a stained glass window technique to give waterlilies, dragonflies and sparkle

 

And that’s it from me for today!  Thanks for stopping by the Art Neko blog this week, and have a lovely weekend. Find some sparkle somewhere…

1

Website by Waterlink Web, Connecting Your Customers To You.